Two-month-old baby dies from overdose of heroin and cocaine, parents charged

Share to friends

A Virginia couple has been arrested and charged with homicide after their two-month-old daughter, Marleigh Chandler, died from an overdose of heroin and cocaine.

Eugene Chandler, 27, and Shaleigh Brumfield, 26, were charged on Tuesday after authorities confirmed the cause of the death of their baby girl who died 7 months ago.

On November 24, 2018, police responded to an emergency call to the address and performed CPR on Marleig at the couple’s home in Danville, Virginia.

The two-month-old baby was then rushed to the SOVAH Health emergency room, but sadly, she was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Authorities said the baby showed no signs of physical abuse before she died. But police searched the couple’s home during investigation, and found evidence pointing to drug use.

They also discovered that the baby had been “co-sleeping” with her parents — meaning they shared just one bed.

An autopsy later revealed that the baby girl died of “acute heroin and cocaine intoxication”.

Danville Police Lieutenant Richard Chivvis said: “The child had enough cocaine and heroin metabolites in her system to kill her.”

Brumfield and Chandler were charged on Monday with felony homicide and neglect of a child.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

1 × one =