Footballer suspended, charged for punching Tinder date to death after discovering “she” was a man

Share to friends

A freshman linebacker on the Virginia Tech football team, Ismemen David Etute, has been charged with second degree murder in the case involving the death of his Tinder date, “Angie”.

The 18-year-old footballer reportedly told police he beat the hell out of the 40-year-old man who catfished him.

Officials made the stunning revelation in a Virginia courtroom on Wednesday, explaining that the young footballer broke it all down for police during their murder investigation last week.

According to the report, Etute matched with the person now known to be Blacksburg restaurant manager Jerry Paul Smith on Tinder. Smith’s profile on the Social Media app indicated he was a woman named ‘Angie,’ Etute’s attorney James Turk told

Prosecutors say Etute told the police he had matched with “Angie” on Tinder believing she was a woman, and had met up with her for oral sex on April 10. Smith had multiple social media accounts where he posed as a woman named ‘Angie,’ according to the report.

Etute did not discover Smith was a man until they met again on May 31 for a second sexual encounter at Smith’s apartment, the report said. He punched Smith in the face five times as soon as he discovered he was a man and Smith fell. Etute punched Smith again, who did not fight back, at least five more times and stomped on him, Commonwealth Attorneys told the court.

L-R: Etute, Smith. Photo: WSLS-TV YouTube screenshot composite via Theblaze

Etute’s attorney, Jimmy Turk, appeared to defend his alleged actions, saying in court “Nobody deserves to die, but I don’t mind saying, don’t pretend you are something that you are not.”

“Don’t target or lure anyone under that perception. That’s just wrong.”

An autopsy revealed Smith died from blunt force trauma to the head, the Richmond-Times Dispatch reported.

All the bones in Smith’s face were broken and his teeth were missing, the report said.

Virginia Tech released a statement Wednesday saying Etute had been immediately suspended from the football team and from the university.

“Blacksburg Police continues to lead this ongoing investigation, and the university will assist law enforcement agencies working the case in any way it can,” the school said in its release.

Etute had participated in Virginia Tech’s 2021 spring practices and was expected to compete for a role on the team this year, before the incident which has now resulted to his suspension. He was granted bail at the hearing on Wednesday and is due back in court in September.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

one × three =